Captain Kevin Hagan
1st Lt. Casey Bertollo
2nd Lt. John Miles
Safety Officer Donald Coates
President Steve Hordych
Vice President Frank Cassanite
Secretary Dan Dixon
Treasurer Harry Littell
Warden Greg Snigur
Warden Robert Rinker
Trustee Russ Nippert
Trustee Ed Carr
Trustee Wally Schlagel
In the beginning, before Engine Company #3 was organized, a fire company on the south side of the railroad tracks had been the dream of fire officials of the village of Warwick for many years. In fact, in 1927, The Warwick Fire Department had an auxiliary truck to carry hose and extinguishers that was kept in Warwick Auto Shop on Railroad Ave. This was short lived, and the truck was disbanded. The railroad track was a big problem with large trains blocking all crossings making it impossible to get to the south side of the village in case of fire. Up until the early sixties, the railroad had heavy rail traffic but as of this day, it does not cause much of a problem.
In 1960 the village purchased a 1942 Army Surplus Chevrolet 500 gallon pumper at the cost of $125. With many hours of volunteer workers fix it up, it was ready for service on August 8, 1960. This truck was to answer all alarms except Mutual Aid Calls.
Now we had the truck and no place to keep it on the south side of the track. And who was going to operate it? Mrs. Bess Lawrence on Oakland Ave. let us keep it in her garage. A phone was put in and now it was up to the fire counsel to decide who should operate this truck.
The fire council decided that as many firemen who wanted to could qualify as drivers. Line Officers would be appointed by the fire council. The truck was names Auxiliary Fire Engine.
In February 1961 the village had completed a two bay fire house on South Street Extension (our present location) and the truck was moved from Oakland Ave. to its new home.
In April 1961 the fire council changed the name of the truck from Auxiliary to Engine Three. But we still were not a company.
First Officers on this truck were Fred Knieriemen (1960), John Batz (1962) and Dave Stage (1964). This truck served the fire department and the village until 1965 when it was replace with a new 1965 Dodge Power Wagon W-300 with a 1 ton chassis and a 500 gallon rear mounted pump, four wheel drive for on the road and off the road fire fighting. The cost of this truck was $15,000.
The old 1942 truck was taken over by the village crews to be used in their work. This truck is still running and pumping and in emergency is used by the fire department.
The problems of keeping the truck clean and other problems made it hard to operate as a department truck. It was decided that if enough men would leave their original company, plus new men to make a total of 25 the village board would go along with us to start another company.
The following firemen would leave their home companies to start a new company known as "Engine Company Three".
Raymonds: R. Schmick, H. Schmick, R. Knierieman, F. Knierieman, H. Ten Kate, R. Ten Kate, and A. Rader.
Excelsiors: K. Langlitz, D. Coates, W. Toffel, G. Filipowski, R. Reily and B.
Hooks: N. Carr, E. Carr, B. Utter and S. Ernhout. Others who would join at the first meeting: H.
Yungman,, R. Ball, G. Hawkins, R. Scorzelli and Rev. Zwernemann.
The village board approved the names and our by-laws, so on April 4, 1967 the new company was formed known as Engine Company Three with a membership of 23. By-Laws stated we could go up to 25.
First Officers of Engine Company 3
President: H. Ten Kate
Vice President: G. Filipowski
Secretary: B. Dedrick
Treasurer: F. Knieriemen
Chaplain: Rev. Zwernemann
Custodian: Ken Langlitz
Captain: R. Schmick
First Lt: W. Toffel
2nd. Lt. E. Carr
Wardens: J. Rader and N. Carr
Trustees: H. Schmick and K. Langlitz.
Our first year was a busy one. The village purchased the adjoining lot and with volunteer help and lots of work our social room, kitchen and Chiefs office was added to our present fire station.
We use our new addition for meetings, social events, and dinners. In 1968 the Fire Council, with department funds, purchased an old 1947 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive Dodge power wagon for $450. With lots of work and volunteer help, a body, pump and tank was put on the chassis. This truck is still with us doing a good job on brush and brush fires.
In 1969, our membership was raised to 30 members.
In 1971, a truck committee was formed to look into replacing our 1065 Dodge which was getting overloaded and too small to keep up with our growing village and fire district needs. The bids were let out on December 16, 1972, a lime yellow Ward La France was delivered. It was a 1,000 gallon pumper with 500 gallon booster tank, 350 HP V8 diesel, automatic transmission, 1400' of 2-1/2" hose, 600' of 1-1/2" hose. The cost of this package was $55,000.
Our Dodge was sold to Pine Bush Fire Department for $7,500.
March 15, 1975 our company purchased an old 1929 REO fire engine and are in the process of restoring it back to its original condition with company funds and workers. We want to have it completed for our fire parade.
In 1985 Rescue Squad Truck was purchased for a home for the "Jaws of Life" and other rescue equipment and air packs.
In the past 8 years our company has become a long way and we are looking forward to moving ahead with membership standing at 35.
At the time that the history was originally prepared, We had in our company two past Chief's: Jim Rader (1953-1955-Raymonds), and Norm Carr (1961-1963-Hooks). Past Warwick Fire Department Officers: B.
LeGrow, Secretary: P. Oprandy, Second Asst. Chief, Father H. Dalton, Chaplain and Deputy Coordinator.
Company officers for 1976 are: President: G. Decatur, Vice President: D.
Demerest, Secretary: K. Carr, Treasurer: R. Nippert, Captain: F.
Cassanite, 1st. Asst. H. Nielsen, 2nd. Asst.: H. Littell, Wardens: W.
Toffel, N. Carr. Chaplain: Father H. Dalton, Trustees F. Knieriemen, R. Riley, R. Ball, Custodian: R.
In 1973, July 10th, the wives of our members organized a Ladies Auxiliary. First Officers were President: Sylvia Decatur, Vice President: Minnie
Langlitz, Secretary and Treasurer: Gloria Lewis. In 1974 a Historian was added, namely Karen
The ladies have helped us at our dinners and barbecues. They have come to our aid with coffee and donuts at some of our big fires. In 1974 they set up an Emergency Fire Fund to help folks who needed aid after a fire. Our Auxiliary visits the Firemans Home at Hudson, NY, made a lap robe, have made Christmas packages for our Orange County patients. They raise their money with many projects; tag sales, cake sales, car washes, Stanley Brush parties, raffles and a stand at the park on July 4th.
Present Officers are President: Roseanne Neilsen, Vice President, vacant, Secretary & Treasurer, Gloria Lewis, Historian: Mary Singer.
Engine Company Three is very proud of their equipment, fire house, and our Ladies Auxiliary. We thank everyone who has helped us.Additions to history - We are proud to add Frank Cassanite Jr as a past Chief of the Warwick Fire Department serving a term from 1983-1985. In 1995 Warwick Fire District has purchased a 1995 HME/4-Guys 4-Wheel Drive 1000 gallon
In January 2005 Gregg Snigur entered the line as assistant chief. In 2001 Engine 3 took delivery of a 2000 4-GUYS Rescue Truck. R-637 has state of the art extrication equipment and has been a great service to the members of the Warwick Fire District. In 2007, Daniel Schweikart took the position on 2nd Asst Chief, Gregg moved up to 1st Asst Chief, making this a first in the Warwick Fire Department History of 2 Chiefs from the same company. We are very proud of this accomplishment by these men.
The past captains are as follows
. Daniel J. Schweikart 2 terms, George Schick, Gregg Snigur, Deborah Schweikart, Steve Hordych, Tom Hand, Rick Norton, Jerry Holt, Harry Littell, Frank Cassanite, Dave Cooper, Robert Schmick, Ken Carr, Henry "Butch" Nielsen, Scott Russell, Walt Toffel, Peter Oprandy, John Predmore, Chris Jackson, Don Coates (two terms) and Ray
Exempt Members: Kevin Buckley, Ken Carr, Norman Carr, Donald Coates, Richard Daubert, Gerald Decatur, Austin Decker, George Filipowski, Chris Jackson, Reinhard Knieriemen, Joe Lawler, William LeGrow, Richard Marek, Donald McKenzie, Henry Nielsen III, Pete Oprandy, Richard Reilly, Scott Russell, Mitch Russell, Robert Schmick, James Sciarra, Brian Scott, Jack Simmons, Rev. Kenneth Susskraut, Walter Toffel.